Saturday 15 October 2011

Trekking to Mount Harriet


Today, I trekked to Mount Harriet. Trekking through the forest route in that heavy downpour was an exhilarating experience.

I took a bus from GB Pant Hospital (known locally as 'Medical') to Chattam Jetty. From there it is 15 minutes, by ship, to Bambooflat. I reached Bambooflat at 7.45 am.

From Bambooflat Jetty, the road towards the right leads to Mount Harriet. After about 30 minutes walk, I stepped into a small shop to buy some biscuits. I bought Parle-G biscuits. I asked the shopkeeper whether I was taking the right road to Mount Harriet. I was glad to receive the precise sort of information I was badly in need of.  It was a piece of 'good luck' that I got into that shop and no other one. He told me that if  I was was going by vehicle, I could take the same road. If I wanted to trek, I could take the narrow path very next to the shop. I took the later one. It was 8.15 am. (The shop is located about 100 meters before Velankanni Church)

I was told not to deviate from the main route. But, I might have walked hardly 200 meters before I found the path ahead was blocked with branches of fallen trees and thick grass. On the other hand, a narrower path on the left was well-used. I decided to take that rout, though I was not sure if it would lead to Mount Harriet. Fortunately, within a few minutes,  I met a local person - Rajesh. He belongs to Anna Nagar Basti and was going to Bambooflat market.  He told me that I was taking the wrong route and that I should have taken the one that I had found blocked. He tells me that because it is rainy season and since not many people use that route during this season, the entire trekking route up to the top of the Mount Harriet is blocked with fallen trees and   newly grown grass.  He was surprised to learn that I was trekking alone in that treacherous route.

I returned and took the correct route. A might have trekked for about half an hour, when it started raining heavily. I love walking in the rain and that too in the middle of a forest. I love the sound of rain falling on leaves. I however was worried about my camera. I opened my umbrella. Rajesh was correct; the route was blocked at a number of places. On at least two occasions, I found it really difficult to locate the path ahead.

But it was a nice experience. The big trees, climbing ivies, thick undergrowth, the rain falling on the trees, in fact, everything about the forest.

After about one and a half hours of trekking through the thick forest, I suddenly found myself on the main road connecting Bambooflat and Mount Harriet. Since I could not see any trekking path on the other side of the road, I started walking along the road. After walking about another 200 meters, I found a mile stone: "Mount Harriet - 0 Kms"!. And a board indicating the ruins of "Commissioner's Bunglow" built in the pre-independence era.
 
I walked a little further on the road and reached the Forest Bunglow. There I met Rasheed (Babu), the keeper of the Forest Bunglow and Munauf, who runs a small canteen there. They showed me the rooms which was spacious and aesthetically furnished.  For booking (Rs.300/- per day) I should contact the District Forest Office in Port Blair for details, they tell me.

At Mount Harriet, one can view the entire Andaman & Nicobar Islands and it is glorious, I was told. But today it was foggy and I could not see anything beyond a couple of meters.

At Munauf's canteen, I had toasted bread, omelette and a hot cup of ginger flavored black tea (Lal Chai).  After spending about half an hour, I returned now taking  the main road. It was 11 am then.

At 12.45 I reached Bambooflat.  Had Rice and Fish Masala at Hotel Sakeena in front of the Jetty, across the road.

2.30 PM, I was back in my flat in Port Blair.









0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More